On Sunday, Aug. 21, Ugly Food of the North co-hosted a pop-up cafe in partnership with Heart-N-Soul Community Cafe. The Community Cafe model invites anyone to come and enjoy the meal, regardless of ability to pay. Thanks to the generous donations of fresh produce from individuals and Red River Market vendors, we were able to serve over 100 meals to community members.
Check out this stellar recipe by Chef Chris Olson for the Apple Beet Soup:
- 5 Red Beets
- 5 MacIntosh Apples
- 2 Cooked Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoons Caraway
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper (you can use black if you don't have white)
- 1-quart water or vegetable stock
1. Peel beets and put in stock pot (wear gloves!)
2. Combine all ingredients and cook until beets are soft.
3. Blend the heck out of the soup.
Yield: 1.5 quarts, feeds 4-6